freebsd-update says -p3, but i've got -p2

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 06:25:12 UTC 2008

Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> Mark Boolootian wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've done a couple of fresh installs on 7.0-RELEASE today, and
>> subsequently run freebsd-update.  freebsd-update reports:
>>
>>   The following files will be updated as part of updating to
>> 7.0-RELEASE-p3:
>>   /boot/kernel/kernel
>>   /boot/kernel/kernel.symbols
>>   /usr/bin/dig
>>   /usr/bin/host
>>   /usr/bin/nslookup
>>   /usr/bin/nsupdate
>>   /usr/include/netinet/tcp.h
>>   /usr/lib/libssh.a
>>   /usr/lib/libssh.so.4
>>   /usr/lib/libssh_p.a
>>   /usr/sbin/dnssec-signzone
>>   /usr/sbin/lwresd
>>   /usr/sbin/named
>>   /usr/sbin/named-checkconf
>>   /usr/sbin/named-checkzone
>>   /usr/sbin/named-compilezone
>>   /usr/sbin/sshd
>>   /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh
>>   /usr/src/sys/netinet/tcp.h
>>   /usr/src/sys/netinet/tcp_output.c
>>
>> which leads me to conclude I've got -p3, including the BIND update.
>> However 'uname -a' says something else:
>>
>> FreeBSD mumble.ucsc.edu 7.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p2 #0: Wed
>> Jun 18 07:33:20 UTC 2008
>> root at i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>>
>> And although /usr/sbin/named has been updated, it appears not to have
>> been upgraded:
>>
>> $ /usr/sbin/named -v
>> BIND 9.4.2
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> You've got p3, don't worry. There was no kernel update in p3, hence
> you got the p2 GENERIC kernel. If you want uname to actually show p3,
> you will have to recompile your kernel,  using something like this
> (assuming you got the kernel sources installed and intend to keep
> using GENERIC):
>
> cd /usr/src
> make buildkernel installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC
> and then reboot
>
> However the only difference will be in the -p number, nothing else so
> you don't have to do it.
>
> FWIW, the /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh contains the -p number you see
> in uname, and this changes everytime freebsd-update fetches updates -
> whether they include kernel updates or not.  Some people (especially
> those responsible for large number of machines) will recompile the
> kernel anyway, so they can easily see their patchlevel using uname.
Another way I'm TRYING to get into the habit of doing, to find the
patches applied to a system is to make a dir, such as something like
/root/updates

In this directory I place all the *.asc and *.diff or *.patch files that
apply to the updates.  This way the uname can give me some very good
information, but the patches and updates I've received (either via
freebsd-update or via rebuilding world) have been recorded, and it's on
a host-by-host basis this way too.

I hope this helps anybody in their administration tasks.

--Tim