To Kris Kennaway and others::FreeBSD hangs on install; kernel crashes, machine freezes

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 18 23:56:55 UTC 2008

Desmond Chapman wrote:
> lock order reversal (sleepable after nonsleepable)
> 1st 0xfffffffe62dce040 bufwait (bufwait) @ /usr/src/sys/kern/ufs
> trap 0, rip = 0, rsp = 0xfffffffe4000dd30, rbp = 0 ---
> (About this time the machine hangs and is unresponsive)
> Stacj trace goes through the file systems
> before the above eror  I have, fork_trampoline at fork_trampoline+0xee

We need the whole thing.

> Install errors"7.0-RELEASE" cannot be found on this server.
> I recieved the exact same error with every ftp server I tried.
> Now, I am writing this email using debian. It isn't my hardware.
> I have tried 7.0, 6.3, and 8.0 RELEASES and I have tried settingh the value to "any."
> I have downloaded torrents, tried different methods of burning the iso.
> I have tried CD install, ftp install, ftp  through http install.
> I had 7.0 on here, it crashed, I needed to replace it.
> Since FreeBSD is no longer on this disk, I can't give you the output to dmesg, /var/log or any other log.
> Now, if Mr Kennaway doubts me, he is welcome to come to my house and watch the same messages roll down the screen,
> while the install fails.

That you are experiencing a problem is not in question.

That you are completely failing to submit a useful bug report is the
issue.  We cannot guess what your errors are if you won't tell us!
Saying "it has an error" provides no information, no matter how many
times you repeat it.

Kris