disk encryption; hidden containers

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Jul 18 22:09:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:01:54PM +0100, RW wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 21:06:57 +0100
> RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:56:24 -0600
> > Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> >
> > > My preliminary searches on the subject suggest that neither GBDE nor
> > > GELI encryption offers hidden volume/container capabilities.
> >
> > Are you talking about steganography?
>
> Sorry, I guess you're talking about volumes hidden in the unused space
> on a filesystem. I don't think there's anything. I'm not sure
> what the status of truecrypt is, I've heard some talk about it running
> on freebsd eventually.
>
> It would be a start for geli to be able to encrypt its metadata.

So, are those basically my choices -- either wait for GBDE or GELI to
acquire that capability, or write it myself (which is not something I'm
prepared to do right now)?  Bummer.

Well . . . or wait for something else like TrueCrypt to get ported to
FreeBSD, I suppose.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Alan Perlis: "LISP programmers know the value of everything and the cost