dump and restore

Peter Boosten peter at boosten.org
Fri Jul 18 21:21:33 UTC 2008

Hi all,

My harddisk was failing and I wanted the data copied to another disk,
but since my original wouldn't boot, I installed a minimal FreeBSD on
the new disk, mounted the old partitions under /mnt and copied from the
original to the new partitions by using:

dump 0af - /dev/ad2s1[adef] | restore xf -

(the partitions adef where done one by one)

The /usr/ partition was 74Gb, and it took (according to dump 52631
seconds (~ 14.5 hours) to copy. Both disks are IDE, in the same machine
on different IDE controllers.

Is it normal for a backup/restore to take this long? Or could this be
due to my failing disk?

Peter

--
http://www.boosten.org