why is this script failing?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Jul 17 02:17:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:19:49AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:50:24 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > thanks for this clarification!  until yesterday, whe you mmentioned
> > blanks[whitespace], as id a song title, i hadn't tought about songs
> > like "Not Ready to Make Nice.ogg" e.g.  I am not sure why these
> > players store the song in wav format without deleting the files, but
> > when my limited /tmp is full, certain aps fail mysteriously.  with a
> > fwdozen more line of code they could at least fail more gracefully.
>
> For those cases, we have find(1) and xargs(1):
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>     find /var/tmp -name '*.wav' -exec rm '{}' \+
>
> or
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>     find /var/tmp -name '*.wav' -print0 | xargs -0 rm
>
> Whitespace handling _is_ important in shell scripts, but it is also a
> good idea to entirely avoid having to handle with it when we can :-)

	well, by jove--er, Zeus:).  i never knew that find had a print0
	option.  it fputs the entire path, and then glues on the '\0'
	byte.   thank you very much , Giorgos.

	gary

	PS:  if a bunch of us ever get together and write a fbsd wiki,
	     this has got to be in there!

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix