Panic: spin lock held too long when booting

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd at milibyte.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 19:41:25 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Mike Clarke wrote:
> > I'm getting frequent panics due to spin lock held too long when
> > booting my recently built 6.3 system with an Athlon 4850e dual core
> > processor on a Foxconn 6150M2MA motherboard (GeForce 6150 and
> > nForce 430 chipsets).

[snip]

> You should add options WITNESS also and this will probably generate
> additional debugging and/or a panic before the error occurs.

OK, done that. The first reboot came up OK, sods law being what it is
the next few boots will be clean and I'll have to wait a while for
results from the next panic but in the meantime here's the messages
generated by WITNESS for the clean boot:

curlew:/home/mike% grep WITNESS /var/run/dmesg.boot
WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.
WITNESS: spin lock scrlock not in order list
WITNESS: spin lock intrcnt not in order list
WITNESS: spin lock ctl.rm_mtx not in order list
WITNESS: spin lock dev.rm_mtx not in order list

... do they give any clues?

--
Mike Clarke