OT-ish: fedora->crash->single user fsck; FreeBSD->crash->smooth recovery

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Tue Jul 15 07:48:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 07:36:17 +0200 (CEST)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> > Is ext2/3 really that bad?
> >
> i don't know ext3, it in theory does journalling, are you using ext3 or
> ext2?
>
> hint: ext3 is actually ext2 with extra file created, there is no need to
> convert, just run fsck_ext3 to convert to ext3, and delete that file to
> convert to ext2.

( my apologies for pursuing the OT....)

I can't speak for Fedora, i haven't bothered using it. I can tell you , though,
that ext3's journal is prey to memory hungry processes (like VMWare server) -
user level app uses lots of memory, the fs doesn't have enough to cache/journal
and you hit the ground very fast and very hard. There are some sysctl you can
use to postpone this (at the expense of usable memory).

Other than that, i can't say ext3 is that bad.

But yeah, I still haven't found enough reasons to move back to Linux from FBSD.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

If you were supposed to understand it, we wouldn't call it 'code'.

Warned.