difference between loading kernel module during boot and after boot manually?

Vincent Barus vibarus at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:29:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 July 2008 16:48:26 Vincent Barus wrote:
>
>> does anyone have an idea what's the difference or what _could_ be the
>> difference on loading a kernel module during boot or manually?
>
> There's one major difference. File systems aren't mounted at loader stage, so
> any reference to modules/libraries that exist on a different partition, will
> fail.
>
> --
> Mel
>
> Problem with today's modular software: they start with the modules
>    and never get to the software part.

Right now i have only one partition and the same problem occurs. Other
modules e.g. for sound or the nvidia module work as a charm.
So I think that's not the only difference.
I can live with a module loaded at the end of the boot process/after
login but I don't think that's the real solution.

Regards,

Vincent