Core(TM)2 Quad and TOP output

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 14:52:40 UTC 2008

Josh Carroll wrote:
> I'm sorry, I completely missed that you were running 6.3 and not a 7.x
> release. You are running the GENERIC kernel then, and while the
> processors are visible, it's only using one since you are not running
> with SMP support.
>
> You can build the SMP kernel (basically, GENERIC + options needed for
> SMP) by doing the following:
>
> cd /usr/src
> make kernel KERNCONF=SMP
>
> Then reboot, and it should pick up the newly installed kernel with SMP
> support. Note that this backs up your old kernel to /boot/kernel.old,
> so if the new one fails to boot, at the beastie menu, you can boot
> with the old kernel if necessary.
>
> Josh

He is already running with SMP, look at this part of his dmesg:

ad10: 343399MB <Seagate ST3360320AS 3.AAM> at ata5-master SATA300
ad12: 343399MB <Seagate ST3360320AS 3.AAM> at ata6-master SATA300
acd0: DVDR <ASUS DRW-2014S1T/1.01> at ata7-master SATA150
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!

His problem lies elsewhere I'm afraid...