weird restarts when compiling

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 12:04:33 UTC 2008

Aggelidis Nikos wrote:
> running mprime-torture i get:
>
> Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
> Please read stress.txt.  Hit ^C to end this test.
> Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT length.
> Test 2, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922943 using 1024K FFT length.
> Test 3, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19374367 using 1024K FFT length.
> Test 4, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19174369 using 1024K FFT length.
> FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
> Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
> Torture Test ran 9 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
>
> so maybe it isn't even a psu problem but a cpu one?

Not really. All modern CPUs have  BIST (built-in self tests) that run
even before the BIOS starts, and it would be really rare to actually
have a "working" system with a faulty CPU. Errors in mprime usually
indicate some other problem, such as bad memory, bad BIOS settings,
overheating or an incompatibility of CPU/motherboard etc.
Going back to what you said previously, you got an Nvidia 5200 graphics
card? Were these ever produced for PCI express or are you using a) a
normal PCI one or b)You got one of these weird mobos that have both AGP
and PCI express? As I understand there are no AGP-only motherboards for
core2duo.
Another thought: Sometimes  the CPU cooler is not entirely seated,
resulting in bad thermal contact of the heatsink/CPU assembly. This is
not unusual in the 775 socket since the mechanism requires quite some
pressure to lock and some people are afraid to apply it ;)