Install failure for 7.0-RELEASE (Need help!)

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Fri Jul 11 12:28:21 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008 23:50:36 Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> I have an older system that I've been running 6.1-RELEASE on for a
> long long time now.  I want to upgrade it to run 7.0-RELEASE.
> (CPU => AMD Athlon XP 2000, Motherboard => ASUS A7N266-VM/AA.)
>
> OK, so I install a new hard drive (known good /practically new) and
> I'm ready to do a fresh install of 7.0-RELEASE onto this fresh new
> blank drive.

> acd0: CDROM <ATAPI CD-ROM MAX 58X/Ver9.05N> at ata1-master UDMA33
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x64 ascq=0x00
> GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider acd0 is iso9660/FreeBSD_Install.
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x64 ascq=0x00

Errm, so don't install from cd. You have a working 6.1 system. Use csup
with /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile as your template, set a real
host, change tag to RELENG_7_0, change prefix to /usr/RELENG_7_0/src,
mkdir -p /usr/RELENG_7_0/src and get the source
csup -L2 /path/to/standard-supfile.

Format the new disk using the chapter on this topic from the handbook and make
sure the slice is bootable. Mount the drive's root on /mnt, usr and var and
whatever else you had partitions made for below that and read the entry in
UPDATING under COMMON ITEMS that describes "To cross-install current onto a
seperate partition".
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.