inetd[860]: ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 07:30:15 UTC 2008

EdwardKing wrote:
> I use FreeBSD7.0,I find some time it raise following information:
> inetd[860]: ssh/tcp: bind: Address already in use
>
> I look up my /etc/rc.conf file,it contains:
>
> inetd_enable="YES"
> sshd_enable="YES"
>
> /etc/inetd.conf file contains:
>
> ssh    stream  tcp    nowait  root  /usr/sbin/sshd  sshd -i -4
> #ssh  stream  tcp6  nowait  root  /usr/sbin/sshd  sshd -i -6
>
> Where wrong with my BSD system? How to solve it?

Well, you're already 99% of the way there.  You can't run sshd both
as a standalone daemon and as a service to be started from inetd.  As
the error message says, they both try and bind to the same network
port which is never going to work.

Running sshd out of inetd is weird and unnatural, so I suggest you
just comment out the ssh line in inetd.conf and restart the inetd
service:

   /etc/rc.d/inetd restart

Then make sure sshd is running happilly:

   /etc/rc.d/sshd restart

(bouncing sshd like this is even safe to do if you're logged in
via ssh...)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3