locate:database too small

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Fri Jul 11 04:45:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:26:19AM +0800, EdwardKing wrote:
> I use locate command,like follows:
> $locate mail
> locate:database too small: /var/db/locate.database
>
> I know it need to update from document: /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb ,but I don't know how to execute above command,I am a newer to Unix,how to do it?

Probably the best way to do it is to become root using su(1) or sudo(1),
and then type:

/etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate

This could take several minutes, depending on your system.

Or you could wait another couple of days, and it will run automatically
(take a look at cron(8), crontab(1,5), periodic(8) and periodic.conf(5))

--
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _