Ldap NSS PAM Samba

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Thu Jul 10 16:05:35 UTC 2008

I am trying to setup a FreeBSD server with samba that uses OpenLdap.  I
have installed everything and was doing some configuring.  I set this all
up once before on a Linux box, but I basically just went through the
motions and really was not sure what all I did...but it worked.  Now I
want to understand everything so that I know exactly what all I did. :)

I have the following:
I installed OpenLdap which put ldap.conf in /usr/local/etc/openldap.
I installed PAM which put ldap.conf.dist in /usr/local/etc.
I installed NSS which put nss_ldap.conf in /usr/local/etc.

>From looking at them I assume that the last two are the same file and one
of them just needs to be renamed to ldap.conf and configured for PAM and
NSS, is that correct?

The ldap.conf in /usr/local/etc/openldap is a different config file even
though it has the same name?  It is used for openldap and the other is
used for PAM and NSS?

Thanks for any info.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?