How do I install openoffice from packages?

Gonzalo Nemmi gnemmi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 00:27:35 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 09 July 2008 12:39:06 Andreas Davour wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> > /Andreas,
> >
> > On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Andreas Davour wrote:
> >> I've tried and it just wont work. It look like the packages don't reside
> >> on the server but I can't change ftp.freebsd.org so how do I get it?
> >
> > From the Googling I did on the subject recently there is no official
> > binary packages for OpenOffice available.  It is available in the ports
> > tree.  The following thread:
>
> Your google-fu is stronger than mine.

And mine too ...

> > http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=21
> >
> > on DæmonForums.org has a link to a site:
> >
> > ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/FreeBSD/2.4.0/7.0-STABL
> >E/amd64/
> >
> > With binary packages available for various versions of FreeBSD.  Well,
> > the thread pointed to the i386 packages, but the amd64 packages were easy
> > enough to find.
>
> I'll try those ones.

Just installed the i386 version ... works like a charm .. thanks _a_lot_
Kevin !!!

> > I had no trouble installing OpenOffice 3 from ports on my i686 box, other
> > than it taking 8+ hours to compile and my PC locked up shortly after it
> > completed.  I thought it had locked up during the compile but eventually
> > discovered that it had completed the install successfully before locking
> > up. I'm still getting the kinks out of my ZFS tweaks.
>
> Installing from ports is just to lengthy a process. I did it once before
> and after compiling for 48 hours (!!!) it crashed every time I tried to
> open a document. I'd rather have that happen after a much shorter
> package install.
>
> Thanks. I'll see if the packages from that good-day.net site works.
>
> /andreas

Just in case .. there _is_ yet another (and let me add: "quite clever") way to
get OOo installed on your FBSD7 box and it can be found in here:

http://www.millingtons.eclipse.co.uk/glyn/freebsd.html

... look under the "Open Office on FreeBSD 7" title ... i haven't tested it ..
but it _sure_ looks like a trick I'd like to get in my bag

--
Blessings
Gonzalo Nemmi