How do I install openoffice from packages?

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Wed Jul 9 14:58:56 UTC 2008

/Andreas,

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Andreas Davour wrote:

> I've tried and it just wont work. It look like the packages don't reside on
> the server but I can't change ftp.freebsd.org so how do I get it?

From the Googling I did on the subject recently there is no official
binary packages for OpenOffice available.  It is available in the ports
tree.  The following thread:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=21

on DæmonForums.org has a link to a site:

ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/FreeBSD/2.4.0/7.0-STABLE/amd64/

With binary packages available for various versions of FreeBSD.  Well, the
thread pointed to the i386 packages, but the amd64 packages were easy
enough to find.

I had no trouble installing OpenOffice 3 from ports on my i686 box, other
than it taking 8+ hours to compile and my PC locked up shortly after it
completed.  I thought it had locked up during the compile but eventually
discovered that it had completed the install successfully before locking
up.  I'm still getting the kinks out of my ZFS tweaks.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX