minimum xorg install for clients side

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Jul 7 10:17:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 08:05:24PM +0200, Anders Trob??ck wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 16:24:08 +0100
> Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 02:16:36PM +0200, Anders Trob??ck wrote:
> > >
> > > If you want to have a remote GUI logon with XDMCP install XDM, GDM
> > > or KDM then you can start X with the -query parameter!
> > >
> > > If this wasn't what you where asking please ask again:-)
> >
> > sorry, I wasn't clear.
> >
> > I have 2 FBSD boxes: a server with no graphics card (S) and a laptop
> > (L). I want to run X applications on S and see the results on L.
> > The applications I run on S are typically xpdf, gs, xfig, display,
> > firefox, etc.
> >
> > While I could install ports/xorg on both boxes, this is probably
> > excessive. Since I won't run any xorg applications on L, I probably
> > don't need xorg-apps on L. Likewise, since I'm not running xorg server
> > on S, I probably don't need xorg-server on S. This is my basic
> > understanding of xorg server-clients model. Is this logic correct?
> >
> > However, I'm not sure on what box (S, L or both) I need:
> > 	xorg-libraries
> > 	xorg-fonts
> > 	xorg-drivers
> > 	xorg-protos
> >
> > 	etc.
> >

> If you are after a real minimal installation with XDMCP you can do like
> this:
>
> On S:
> x11/xdm
>
> On L:
> x11-servers/xorg-server
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel (or what ever card you have)
> x11-fonts/font-alias
> x11-fonts/font-cursor-misc
> x11-fonts/font-misc-misc
>
> Configure X on L:
> X -configure
> X -config xorg.conf.new
> cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Configure XDM on S:
> Read http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/x-xdm.html
>
> Start XDM on S:
> xdm
> (if you want it to start after reboot look for a line about xdm (ttyv8)
> in /etc/ttys, change off to on)
>
> Start X on L:
> X -query S

Anders thanks

I tried to follow your guidelines, but cannot see the login prompt
after X -query S. I also cannot see port 177 open on S, only:

	6000/tcp open  X11

Should 177/udp and /tcp be open on S? How to do this?

I've the following line in /etc/ttys:

	ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -daemon"    xterm   on  secure

and:

% ps ax|grep xdm
38718  ??  Is     0:00.08 /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -daemon ttyv8
44523  ??  Rs     0:17.61 /usr/local/bin/X :0 -auth /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/auth
44524  ??  Ss     0:08.04 xdm: :0 (xdm)
45544  v4  RL+    0:00.01 grep xdm
%

and I commented out this line in xdm-config

!DisplayManager.requestPort:    0

What am I missing?

many thanks
anton