OT: anyone been crazy enough to mirror wikipedia?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Jul 7 09:17:56 UTC 2008

It really depends on what your looking up.  I have found it an invaluable
resource for looking up cultural topics that aren't high on the importance
scale, if you know what I mean.  For example, when the movie Cars
came out, after we bought the DVD one evening after watching it I
got curious about all the Route 66 references and looked up Route 66
on Wikipedia.  It's trivial knowledge of course - is it really important to
know that there's a leaning water tower along I-40, is that something
you would pay for a print encyclopedia for?

> If Wikipedia is killing
> Encyclopedia sales, it is because people are willing to accept
> mediocrity over accuracy if accuracy comes at a price and mediocrity is
> free.

People have always accepted mediocrity over accuracy if accuracy
comes at a price.  Where have you been!?!?  :-)

But I don't see that the print encyclopedia articles are that accurate
either, at least, not after time.  Particularly on the controversal stuff.

My parents, bless their hearts, bought a set of encyclopedias the
year before I was born.  Undoubtedly some encyclopedia salesman
got at them.  I got perhaps 2-3 years of use out of them from maybe
5th grade through 7th grade, before the demands on me for accuracy
from school were serious enough that the information in them was
mainly worthless.  Not to mention that these were bought in '65 and
had virtually nothing in them about the Civil Rights movement, let alone
the Kennedy assasination, items that by 1978 were major watershed
events that still had reprecussions.  Items, incidentally, that my
parents to this day really don't talk about (very understandable, as
Republicans they at the time were convinced by that party that
Kennedy was very unimportant) and certainly didn't talk about to me,
items that few teachers in my grade schools talked about either
(due to their extreme controversy, even at that time)  It wasn't until
High School that I even heard about the concept that "everyone
remembers where they were when they heard about the Kennedy
assassination"  There's a parallel here, with 911.

> It has been my experience, maybe things have changed, that a hardbound
> reference book is the equivalent of asking Bunny Watson for an answer,
> and Wikipedia is like asking Cliffy on Cheers.

In the county I live in, the public library has the Encyclopedia Americana
online, and anyone with a library card can log in to the system over the
Internet and access it.  So, I don't need Bunny.

Ted