FreeBSD + ZFS on a production server?

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Sun Jul 6 15:57:44 UTC 2008

> point:
>
> On Thursday 12 June 2008 07:37:06 am Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> you must have disks dedicated for raidz, disks dedicated for mirrored
>> storage and disks dedicated for unprotected storage. it's inflexible
>> and not much usable.
>>
>> actually - much less usable than "legacy"
>> gmirror/gstripe/gconcat+bsdlabel.

looks like my mistake - or simply a shortcut that made statement
imprecise.

it should be added:
----

ZFS can be installed on partitions and share disks with other things, but
the performance will be bad.

ZFS - contrary to every other filesystem that use FreeBSD disk I/O
scheduler - does it's own I/O scheduling, so it assumes it's the only user
of physical drive.

if both non-ZFS and ZFS filesystem will share the same disk AT THE SAME
TIME - there will be a lots of thrashing.