Adding a new hard drive, and using geom

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 06:12:42 UTC 2008

I bought a second hard drive for my computer since my /usr partition
was getting full.  I don't want to deal with hardware raid since I
don't want to be dependent on a certain hardware vendor or chipset, so
I'm wanting to go with geom.  I'd prefer to not have to backup all my
data(I know I should anyway, but it's a 500gb hard drive, and drives
are growing faster than backup solutions).  Would it be possible to do
a geom stripe to expand /usr and keep all the data or would I just need
to backup everything, and then put it all back?  If I must deal with
backing up and erasing, and considering that the current /usr and the
new drive aren't the same size, how would I go about mirroring other
paritions and striping /usr?  Would that still be easily bootable(no
special hacks or workarounds)?

Any tips or other recommendations would be appreciated.