to shell (and X window System) wizards.

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Thu Jul 3 15:36:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 07:13:50PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	would this works, say in .zlogin, to  say that X is up:
>
> 	if [ -e /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 ]
> 	then
> 		echo "X is up."
> 		exit 0;
> 	else
> 		echo "No X yet"
> 		exit 1;
> 	fi
>
> 	or is there something more clever?

I'm not sure if it's any cleverer, but I would probably make a call to
pgrep(1) instead of relying on the existence of a file that might exist,
even if X isn't running (unusual, but it does happen now and then, here at
least) - something like

if (pgrep "Xorg")
then
  echo "X is up."
  exit 0
else
  echo "No X yet..."
  exit 1
fi

... should do the trick.

And bear in mind that ~/.zlogin is run *after* ~/.zshrc, whereas ~/.zprofile
is run *before* it. It might matter, depending on what you are trying to do.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _