Too Much Context Switching?

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Wed Jul 2 16:32:32 UTC 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008, cpghost wrote:

> You need to run ZEO if you want to make use of multiple CPUs in Zope.
> Here's a small HOWTO. It's for gentoo, but easily adaptable to
> FreeBSD:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ZEO/Zope_and_Plone
>
> Good luck optimizing the Beast! ;-)

This is *so* critically important that I can't overstress it.  You *have* to
use ZEO if you're running a busy Zope site.

On our dual P4-Xeon system, I run 8 Zope instances and use Apache to spread
the load across 7 of them (reserving the 8th for admin use) like so:
    $ cat /usr/local/etc/apache22/zope.txt
    zeoclients      9080|10080|11080|12080|13080|14080|15080

    $ cat mydomain.conf
    [...]
    # Load-balance the Zope servers
    RewriteMap zope rnd:/usr/local/etc/apache22/zope.txt
    RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://web2.daycos.com:
${zope:zeoclients}/VirtualHostBase/http/web2.xrsnet.com:80/XRSnet/VirtualHostRoot/$1
[P]

On each new connection, Apache picks a random port from the list defined in
zope.txt and passes the connection to that Zope process.
--
Kirk Strauser