ZFS xattr attribute "temporary" off status?

Jeff Waddell jeff at jeffawaddell.com
Wed Jul 2 11:32:52 UTC 2008

I've recently begun playing around with zfs on a freebsd7 build, as well as
a recent nightly build of FreeNAS (based on freebsd7) and have noticed
something peculiar that I haven't experienced with ZFS on either Solaris or
Mac OS X. For some reason, freebsd (on both systems) is setting the zfs
xattr (extended attributes) attribute "temporarily" off. Setting xattr=on
appears to work, but actually does nothing. The xattr attribute is also the
only ZFS attribute with a temporary setting, and no matter what I try, I
can't set it on. Why is this happening on freebsd, and is it fixable or an
issue with freebsd's zfs implementation (such as xattrs not being
implemented yet)? Thanks for your assistance!

--
-Jeff