freebsd-update & linker.hints

Gary Newcombe gary at pattersonsoftware.com
Wed Jul 2 00:57:27 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm having a problem updating my freebsd 7 amd64 box. After a recent
freebsd-update, the kernel and linker.hints were updated. However with
subsequent freebsd-updates, it reports that linker.hints still needs to
be updated. I can (re)install but always the same. The linker.hints
timestamp is being updated and the md5 isn't changed after reboot, so
why this? I have tried removing /var/db/freebsd-update and rebuilding
with no success.

Btw, my freebsd 7 i386 box updated in one go with no problems.

Anyone else seen this?

FreeBSD fac51.pattersonsoftware.com 7.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD
7.0-RELEASE-p2 #0: Wed Jun 18 06:48:16 UTC 2008
root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Cheers,
Gary.