PAE support using freebsd-update procedure

Daniel Bye freebsd-questions at slightlystrange.org
Tue Jul 1 20:59:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 07:39:12PM +0200, bsd wrote:
> --->> Wouldn't It be better to run amd64 instead of i386?
>
> I have seen that this will allow to take full capacity of the memory -
> on the other hand there seems to have restriction on the ports
> Can anyone let me know if these restrictions will apply to:
>
> - postfix
> - postgreSQL
> - amavisd-new
> - dovecot

I think all of those will work just fine. You can check by inspecting
the respective ports' Makefiles. If a port won't build on a particular
platform, the Makefile will have that knowledge - there will be a flag
called ONLY_FOR_ARCHS whose value will be set to a list of the platforms
the port works on. lang/ezm3 is a good illustrative example:

ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= alpha amd64 i386 sparc64

If you try to build the port on an unsupported platform, you'll get
an error message and the build will halt.

I don't use FreeBSD/AMD64, but I would think by now that most ports
will work on it, particularly the type of things you mention above.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _