cant su to root

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Tue Jul 1 10:51:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 20:43:21 +1000
Warren Liddell <shinjii at maydias.com> wrote:

> When i try to su to root from konsole within kde it tells me..
>
> $ su
> su: Sorry
>
> i got a feeling when i added my user client to operators group this
> may have done this an sadly now i cant run or do anything that
> requires root access.
>
> Any thoughts?

Add the the users who should be able to su to root to the 'wheel' group:
In /etc/group:

wheel:*:0:root,user1,user2,...

From su(1) manpage:

PAM is used to set the policy su(1) will use.  In particular, by default
only users in the ``wheel'' group can switch to UID 0 (``root'').
This group requirement may be changed by modifying the ``pam_group''
section of /etc/pam.d/su.  See pam_group(8) for details on how to modify
this setting.

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/