cant su to root

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 1 10:49:33 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 01 July 2008, Warren Liddell said:
> When i try to su to root from konsole within kde it tells me..
>
> $ su
> su: Sorry
>
> i got a feeling when i added my user client to operators group this
> may have done this an sadly now i cant run or do anything that
> requires root access.
>
> Any thoughts?

Can you log into root directly? If so make sure your user is part of
the wheel group then you should be able to su to root. If not you'll
have to boot into single user and change the root password you have
access then do the above.

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html