915resolution on HP Compaq

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Thu Jan 31 08:00:50 PST 2008

Mike Barnard wrote:
> On 1/31/08, Doug Poland <doug at polands.org> wrote:
>> Mike Barnard wrote:
>>> Hi, I have an HP Compaq 6720s laptop. I am trying to get X to display
>>> at 1280x800 screen reolution.
>>>
>>> I first set it up using  xorgconfig, but i failed to start X. I got an
>>> error saying
>>>
>>> intel: No matching device section for instance (BUS ID PCI:0:2:1) found
>>> GARTInt Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
>>>
>>> I tried to use the 915resolution port and this is what it give me.
>>>

>>> # 915resolution -l
>>> Intel 800/900 Series VBIOS Hack : version 0.5.3
>>>
>>> Intel chipset detected.  However, 915resolution was unable to
>>> determine the chipset type.
>>> Chipset Id: 2a008086
>>> Please report this problem to stomljen at yahoo.com
>>> #
>>>
>>> I know that i have the Intel x3100 card and then 965GM chipset.
>>>
>>> Has anyone managed to get X to display on a wide screen display at
>>> 1280x800 on this chipset?
>>>
>> If you're running FreeBSD 7.x and Xorg 7.3, I recommend using the
>> "intel" driver.  915resolution is not necessary with this driver.
>>
> darn... there we go again, i forgot to give the version i am running.
>
> I have FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE, xorg 7.3_1 and yes with the
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel port installed. I fell back to
> 915resolution since this intel driver failed. I was hoping to get some
> joy with 915resolution, but realised that it does not support this
> chipset as well :-(.
>
> I deinstalled the intel driver and installed the i810 driver, but no
> joy either. Im back to the intel driver and i still cannot get
> 1280x800 done. every time i startx i get the error i described
> earlier. I checked and /dev/agpgart does not exist. Im sure i compiled
> my kernel with "device agp".
>
> thanks for the assistance.

Hi Mike,

I had the same problems you were having on 6.2-STABLE and was not able
to resolve them.

IIRC, the intel driver works *correctly* on 7.x only.  In my case, I
also have an Intel wireless NIC that is also supported in 7.x only.
These two issues forced me to 7.x and I've been working happily ever since.

HTH,
Doug