Starting X - was Re: Vista / FreeBSD dual boot

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Wed Jan 30 16:58:59 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 11:29:02PM +0000, Siraj Shaikh wrote:
> On 30/01/2008, Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz> wrote:

[...]
> > There should be a more elegant way to do this, but the way I did it
> > was to:
> >
> >    # pkg_delete -f xf86-video-i810-1.7.4
> >    # cd /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xorg-drivers
> >    # make rmconfig
> >    # make config
> >    [untick i180 and tick intel]
> >    # portupgrade -f xorg-drivers

> Jonathan
>
> I followed your instructions but still doesnt work.
>
> Now, all this is really disappointing. Would you suggest I reinstall
> FreeBSD 6.3? Perhaps I reinstall it without choosing Xorg during
> sysinstall and then install it later through package or port?

A reinstallation of 6.3 wouldn't really solve anything, as your
problem isn't with the base system; it's with XOrg. Could you repost
the results of your latest /var/log/XOrg.log with the new "intel"
video driver? You may have to submit its contents to XOrg for a better
diagnosis.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>