OT: Downloading file by sending email

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Tue Jan 29 23:05:13 PST 2008

Olivier Nicole wrote:

>> I want to setup a service such that sending a mail to say
>> "someaddress at mydomain" with a list of links per line results in my machine
>> downloading the files at these links replying with all these files
>> attached.
>
> Although I don't know of such a service (I recall hearing about such
> service ages ago) it sounds not too difficult to built, for example in
> Perl, using Curl for downloading and some Perl modules to build a MIME
> email to send back.

Thanks Olivier. I was stumped on how to make maildrop pipe the email to
some program. A bit of research on that (and reading the manpages) showed
me how. Now that I've figured that part, the problem is not too difficult.
Gotta make a shell/ perl script now to parse the message and do the
downloading etc ...

Thanks,
Rakhesh

---