Starting X - was Re: Vista / FreeBSD dual boot

Siraj Shaikh siraj.shaikh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 13:54:22 PST 2008

On 29/01/2008, Siraj Shaikh <siraj.shaikh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29/01/2008, doug <doug at fledge.watson.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Jan 2008, Siraj Shaikh wrote:
> >
> > > One question: I have just installed FreeBSD 6.3, and tried "startx"
> > > but it isnt coming up, giving some sort of error. Am I missing
> > > something here? I did choose for "Windows X" during the FreeBSD setup
> > > - shall I do a port upgrade?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > This is really a new thread. The handbook Chapter 5, The X Window System has the
> > steps to follow. If your video card is support, it will just work.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-install.html
> >

> I installed FreeBSD 6.3 and asked for X during the step. The link only
> shows me how to add the X package. Shall I add the package right on
> top now, or shall I remove X first, and then install the port/package
> after that?
>
> Thanks

I have just reinstalled Xorg (using the xorg port) and tried startx
again but it doesnt work. The error message is something like

(EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
(WW) I810: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:
no screens found
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Please help!!!

Thanks