Network configuration in FreeBSD

Brian bri at brianwhalen.net
Mon Jan 28 13:39:33 PST 2008

Bhuvaneswari Ramkumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie FreeBSD user, I've just installed the 5.5 version.
> I know this is a very silly question but I've searched the archives and any
> suggestions are welcome.
>
> I think my system is not connected to the internet or any external network,
> ping dosent work ( nor ftp or dig)
>
> When I try to do a post-install configuration and choose to enable the inetd
> daemon option from the sysinstall, it doesnt invoke the editor to change the
> inetd.conf at all, so I did a root-login and enabled ftp, even pftp and
> other services in the file as mentioned in the installation document.
>
> But still I'm unable to ftp to any server, the message I get is ftp:
> hostname or servname not known or not provided.
>
> Do you guys have any ideas ?
>
> Thanks
> Bhuvana

Interesting that you chose 5.5 for a new install, most anyone would
recommend something newer.  Having said that, is the ether interface
enabled?  If you run sysinstall, and select post install config, then
networking, then the interface in question, try to view/config it based
on the parameters your isp gave you.  When you're done you should see
some lines in /etc/rc.conf specific to your config.  Be careful with
this file.

Brian