old kernel's name

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Mon Jan 28 08:49:13 PST 2008

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

>I even tried to install it
>from a CD but I get an error about some error while copying a library
>to HD and the installation process could not continue. It asked me to
>check some screen for debugging purposes (but it was not obvious which
>screen as I was in sysinstall). I will try to reproduce the problem
>and report back as soon as I finish compiling custom kernel.

IIRC, you need to press ctl-alt-f4 (three keys - just like normal vty
switching).  You can then use scroll-lock and page-up and page-down and
arrow keys to see what's been said that feel off the screen already.

If it's not f4 you can just try with ctl-alt-f1, f2, f3 etc until you
find the right screen!  And one of those should take you back to the
sysinstall normal screen.  Don't forget to hit scroll-lock again
(assuming you hit it a first time) to turn off scrolling or the
vty-switch may not work.

hth,

--Alex

PS Re: your earlier question, I'm pretty sure you can use ls and cd to
see what files you have if you can't remember the name of the kernel
directory.  Depends exactly what point your boot got too, but it sounds
like the right place for those to work.