Sound problems on Thinkpad T43

Alex Kloss klossalex at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 06:08:05 PST 2008

Hello all,

I have FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE running on a Thinkpad T43. It works
wonderfully, I love it so far. The only problem is that I can't get my
sound card to output any sound.

This is what pciconf says:

pcm0 at pci0:30:2:    class=0x040100 card=0x05671014 chip=0x266e8086
rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Intel Corporation  82830M/MG SDRAM Controller / Ho
AC '97 Audio Controller/ Sigmatel (SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio)'
    class      = multimedia
    subclass   = audio

Now, the handbook says that this card is supported by the snd_ich
module. I first tried loading this module, but I couldn't get any
sound out of it at all. Then, I tried statically-compiling the module
into the kernel. This also didn't work.

I'm at a complete loss. Every resource I've found says that snd_ich
should support this card. In fact, I know that it supports the card,
because /dev/sndstat says so:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel ICH6 (82801FB)> at io 0x90040800, 0x90040400 irq 22 bufsz
16384  (1p/1r/1v channels duplex default)

My mixer settings:

Mixer vol      is currently set to  30:30
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
Mixer mic      is currently set to  25:25
Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
Mixer rec      is currently set to  25:25
Mixer igain    is currently set to  25:25
Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
Mixer phin     is currently set to  25:25
Mixer phout    is currently set to  25:25
Recording source: mic

And uname -a:

FreeBSD mephistophilis 6.3-STABLE FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE #5: Sun Jan 20
14:00:12 EST 2008
root at mephistophilis:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/MEPHISTOPHILIS  i386

(Apologies for the line-wrapping. GMail doesn't seem to play nicely
with long lines)

I've tried doing `cat somefile > /dev/dsp` to no avail, as per the
handbook. I've also used Mplayer on some MP3s I have, but this also
does not work.

Has anyone seen this problem before, or know how to fix it? I would
really love to keep using FreeBSD as a desktop machine, but I might
have to use Linux again if I can't get my sound working.

Thanks!

Alex Kloss