passive ftp transfer with pkg_add

Zbigniew Szalbot zszalbot at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 22:19:14 PST 2008

Hello,

I have been trying to install KDE by using pkg_add -r kde but the
download is always failing. Reading man pkg_add I see a reference to
change the FTP mode to passive if the download constantly fails.
However, man does not say which file should be edited to change it. I
tried pkgtools.conf but I have not found anything about FTP transfer
mode in there.

Can you advise which file needs to be edited?

Also:

"Note: If you wish to use passive mode ftp in such transfers, set the
     variable FTP_PASSIVE_MODE to some value in your environment."

What value should be set for FTP_PASSIVE_MODE? Any value?

Many thanks!

Zbigniew Szalbot