why am i sending mutt mail with my FQDN??

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Jan 27 19:12:52 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 07:19:48PM -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> >I0/85/212006
> >MDeferred: 450 4.7.1 <tao.thought.org>: Helo command rejected: Host not
> >found
> >${if_addr}127.0.0.1
> >S<kline at tao.thought.org>
> >MDeferred: 450 4.7.1 <tao.thought.org>: Helo command rejected: Host not
> >found
> >rRFC822; freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> Yes, you should either set up working DNS for all of your machines which
> send email (if you control the DNS for thought.org, consider using DynDNS
> or equivalent so that tao.thought.org is resolvable) or (depending on
> whether you have administrative control over the destination SMART_HOST
> mailserver) look into the access map:
>
>   http://www.sendmail.org/m4/anti_spam.html#access_db
>
> ...or, failing that, enabling these with caution:
>
> accept_unresolvable_domains
> 		Normally, MAIL FROM: commands in the SMTP session will be
> 		refused if the host part of the argument to MAIL FROM:
> 		cannot be located in the host name service (e.g., an A or
> 		MX record in DNS).  If you are inside a firewall that has
> 		only a limited view of the Internet host name space, this
> 		could cause problems.  In this case you probably want to
> 		use this feature to accept all domains on input, even if
> 		they are unresolvable.

	Well, it looks as tho the remote hosts (like magnesium.net)
	are rejecting my mail.  I was wrong a couple days ago when Isaid that
	MASQUERADE_AS() and FEATURE() were successfuly rewriting my
	envelope. Further tests ptoved that. And while it's easy enough to ssh over
	here (aristotle) and run mutt, U'd rather figure out the mutt/imap
	opttions as the mutt manual deetails.   I haave control of the
	entire ``thought.org'' dmain.  The complications are that  my DNS
	records may not be correctly configured.  Also that my nice,
	new, bulletproof firewall may be an issue, altho I doubr it.

> relay_entire_domain
> 		This option allows any host in your domain as defined by
> 		class {m} to use your server for relaying.  Notice: make
> 		sure that your domain is not just a top level domain,
> 		e.g., com.  This can happen if you give your host a name
> 		like example.com instead of host.example.com.
>
> You can also define your local host name (aka class w) to be something
> which the other machine can resolve.  By the way, an excerpt from the mail
> logs (/var/log/mail.log) are the best source of info for relaying issues,
> although it is possible to figure out some of the issues from a stuck
> message in the spool.

	My network looks llike this:

	INTERNET -> Firewall ->

		sage [ which runs one jail with DNS, web, and mail ]

		sage feeds my desktops, one laptop, and other Windows
		computers.

	For reasons that are beyond me, working on desktop "tao" and
	going thru aristotle's IMAP service, the FROM remains
	``tao.thought.org'' when mail goes out the wire.  Ionly have
	one sendmail now--on aristotle--and that was where I put the
	MASQUERADE_AS/FEATURE lines.  How/why sendmail isn't dooing this
	is beyond me.  ....

> It's also possible that if you set your SMART_HOST to your ISP's
> mailserver, and configure authentication with them, they will let you relay
> even if your mail submission is using local/invalid DNS hostnames.

	I think that *I* am my SMART_HOST! This, according to my ISP
	who doesn't seem eager to deal with my configs.   Better, IMO,
	to figure out this confusion  and get this working at my end.

	I'll try to define local host names (class w); see if that
	helps.

	gary

	PS:  ANYBody who knows where things are fouled up, please
	jump in !