redundancy in domain or hostname ?

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Sun Jan 27 00:37:01 PST 2008

On Saturday 26 January 2008 06:36:11 pm Walter Jansen wrote:
> The router connected to my server reports DNS inquiries like
> "myserver.example.com.example.com" which obviously leads nowhere
>

> The server is in a SOHO situation connected to a router which is connected
> to DSL; the server runs 6.3 Release and will serve as mailserver for the
> few in-house employees  and as a webserver. The domain "example.com" is
> registered with Dyndns.org who also run the "Custom DNS service".  The DNS
> entries were checked with Dyndns.org staff and found in accordance with the
> purpose.
>
> During installation  of the server, the hostname "myserver.example.com" and
> the domain name "example.com" were entered in the appropiate Sysinstall
> dialog
>
> .
>
> /etc/hosts shows:
> ::1                     localhost.example.com localhost
>
> 127.0.0.1               localhost.example.com localhost
>
> 192.168.1.13            myserver.example.com myserver
>
> 192.168.1.13            myserver.example.com.
>

> 192.168.1.13 is allocated to the server by the DHCP of the router; this IP
> address is fixed though!!
>

> Table /etc/resolv.com reads:
>

> domain  example.com
>
> nameserver      192.168.1.1  (my router's IP address
>

> I postponed installation of Postfix and Apache as I feel that host- and
> domainname should be configured correctly to prevent accumulating trouble.
>

> Remarks a most appreciated.
>

> --  Walter --

If memory serves the hostname in sysinstall is just the host part of the name,
in your case myserver, and the domain part is example.com

What does hostname think the hostname is?

The other common case where you'll get this is forgetting a . in a BIND zone
file, which causes it to append the domain name again....

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB