CARP and FreeBSD 6.3

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Thu Jan 24 01:42:27 PST 2008

Hi,

I have two machines. Each have two interfaces, xl0 and fxp0. And each
have two carp interfaces -- carp1 (xl0 of both) and carp2 (fxp0 of both).
One of the machines is master, the other is backup.

I also have the following sysctl set: net.inet.carp.preempt -> 1

My understanding is that if I down one of the interfaces on the master
machine (say ''ifconfig xl0 down''), then both carp interfaces on the
master will be marked as down. And the backup will become the new master.
Later, when the interface is marked up (''ifconfig xl0 up''), the old
master will resume control. This is my understanding and that's how things
were till yesterday (when I was on FreeBSD 6.2/i386 with both machines).

Today morning I upgraded both machines to FreeBSD 6.3 and that does not
seem to be the case any more.

Now, on the master machine when I down the xl0 interface, only carp1 (the
group containing xl0) goes into init state (and the other machine's carp1
interface becomes the new master). Ditto for fxp0 and carp2. So in
essence, the net.inet.carp.preempt=1 sysctl does not seem to be working as
expected which is unlike how things were in FreeBSD 6.2.

Has something changed with regards to carp between FreeBSD 6.2 and 6.3?
Any one else encountering a similar problem?

Thanks,
Rakhesh

---
http://rakhesh.net/