make buildworld 6.x on 7.x?

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Wed Jan 23 21:32:21 PST 2008

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to do a ''make buildworld buildkernel'' of the FreeBSD 6.x
>> series sources on a FreeBSD 7.x machine and then install them onto a
>> FreeBSD 6.x machine?
>
> Yes, I did this a few minutes ago in fact :)  No special procedures are
> necessary, world builds are already suitably isolated from the host system
> for this to work.

Awesome! Infact, I didn't think it would be possible. Like you have
separate port packages for the 6.x and 7.x trees, I thought FreeBSD 6.x
compiled on a FreeBSD 7.x system won't run. But I was obviously wrong.
Guess its different for the base OS eh ...?

Going by the same logic, is it possible that tomm I can download the
sources for an OS like say, NetBSD, buildworld for it on my FreeBSD
machine, and then install on a NetBSD machine?

Thanks,
Rakhesh

---
http://rakhesh.net/