sendmail config

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Jan 23 17:51:32 PST 2008

On 2008-01-23 19:54, Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD at insightbb.com> wrote:
> I configured KMail with SSL to send mail from a foreign network thru my
> broadband ISP.  This works fine.
>
> I want to be able to use send-pr, and thought I might me able to configure
> sendmail as outgoing only. I have sendmail_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> local mail works fine.  I don't want incoming from the Internet.
>
> I copied /etc/mail/freebsd.mc to laptop.mc and set SMART_HOST to
> mail.insightbb.com and moved sendmail.cf to sendmailcf.sav.  I compiled
> laptop.mc with m4 /usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 laptop.mc
>
> I then copied laptop.cf to sendmail.cf and rebooted.

There's a much easier way to generate `sendmail.cf' and `submit.cf' on
FreeBSD.  After reading the comments in `/etc/mail/Makefile', especially
the part shown below:

  # ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # This Makefile uses `<HOSTNAME>.mc' as the default MTA .mc file.  This
  # can be changed by defining SENDMAIL_MC in /etc/make.conf, e.g.:
  #
  #       SENDMAIL_MC=/etc/mail/myconfig.mc
  #
  # If '<HOSTNAME>.mc' does not exist, it is created using 'freebsd.mc'
  # as a template.
  #
  # It also uses '<HOSTNAME>.submit.mc' as the default mail submission .mc
  # file.  This can be changed by defining SENDMAIL_SUBMIT_MC in
  # /etc/make.conf, e.g.:
  #
  #       SENDMAIL_SUBMIT_MC=/etc/mail/mysubmit.mc
  #
  # If '<HOSTNAME>.submit.mc' does not exist, it is created using
  # 'freebsd.submit.mc' as a template.
  # ------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can set up a `sendmail.cf' and `submit.cf' file by:

  0. Set up the `rc.conf' options for local delivery only, and to
     forward all other messages to the SMART_HOST relay.

	sendmail_enable="NO"
	sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
	sendmail_submit_enable="YES"
	sendmail_msp_queue_enable="YES"

  1. Editing `/etc/make.conf' and setting SENDMAIL_MC and
     SENDMAIL_SUBMIT_MC to:

	SENDMAIL_MC?= /etc/mail/laptop.mc
	SENDMAIL_SUBMIT_MC?= /etc/mail/laptop.submit.mc

  2. Backup your current `laptop.mc' and `laptop.submit.mc' if any.

  3. Copy the original `freebsd.mc' to `laptop.mc' and the original
     `submit.mc' to `freebsd.submit.mc' in `/etc/mail':

	# cd /etc/mail
	# cp freebsd.mc laptop.mc
	# cp freebsd.submit.mc laptop.submit.mc

  4. Edit the new `laptop.mc' file and set SMART_HOST.

  5. Use the standard `Makefile' to build and install the new *.cf files:

	# cd /etc/mail
	# make all && make install

Now you should be able to start Sendmail with:

	# /etc/rc.d/sendmail stop
	# /etc/rc.d/sendmail start

> Now, the response is "Service not available", but I think it's because
> I don't have sendmail configured to use SSL, like KMail.

The standard `freebsd.mc' distributed with FreeBSD sources doesn't force
the use of SSL or TLS.  You should be able to use it without SSL.

If you have made modifications to the original `freebsd.mc' file, you
can restore it by copying a fresh version of the same file from their
pristine copies included in the source tree of FreeBSD:

	/usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc
	/usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.submit.mc

HTH,
Giorgos