Sendmail local only.....

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Jan 22 17:25:13 PST 2008

On 2008-01-22 16:28, Schiz0 <schiz0phrenic21 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jan 22, 2008 4:25 PM, Agus <agus.262 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> Just trying to make sendmail work locally only.....And by that i
>> mean, i dont want sendmail to be able to relay or send mail to any
>> other machine except for localhost....
>>
>> How can i do this? I mean is there a way on rc.conf or i need to
>> touch the cf??
>
> Search the file /etc/defaults/rc.conf for "sendmail"
> It has a bunch of options and explains what they do.
> NOTE: do not edit /etc/defaults/rc.conf - that's just the "Default
> settings" file.
> Make any changes in the /etc/rc.conf file instead.
>
> Basically, you want
>
> sendmail_enable="NO"
>
> And the rest of the sendmail options enabled.

Not all of them, mind you.  I use the following on my laptop:

    sendmail_enable="NO"
    sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
    sendmail_submit_enable="YES"
    sendmail_msp_queue_enable="YES"

A fairly good explanation of why this setup works only as a 'local MTA',
and doesn't accept incoming SMTP connections from the world can be found
in the manpage of rc.sendmail:

    % man rc.sendmail

To the original poster:

Feel free to use the above sendmail_xxx settings in your `/etc/rc.conf'
file, but please make sure that you also:

    ... understand why these settings make Sendmail only forward locally
    generated email messages, by reading the rc.sendmail manpage.

    ... have configured properly your local `/etc/mail/sendmail.cf' and
    `/etc/mail/submit.cf' files.

    ... read the Handbook section about Sendmail, and let us know if you
    find it difficult to understand, or you would like to see more stuff
    documented.

Cheers,
Giorgos