Updating older 7.0 to newer sources, local buildworld problems

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Tue Jan 22 07:13:16 PST 2008

Sten Daniel Soersdal wrote:
> I'm having troubles updating my buildworld and i've had troubles
> narrowing it down on google.
>
> My question is:
>
> Is there any way i could update the system in the state it is now?
> (Preferably without reinstalling the entire system from scratch.)
>
> PS. I've heard about freebsd-update but never got it to work (see below)

I have never used freebsd-update so I can't comment there.  I think
that's a binary update though.  You are trying to build from source.

I would use cvsup to update my source tree to 7.0-RELEASE.  Since your
initial sources are before Sep 19, they are not 7.0-RELEASE.  Read about
cvsup in the handbook.  Look at the example files in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup.  The I would run 'make clean' and 'make
buildworld' all over again.

Except for creating a newfs and tweaking files in /etc, building the
world is pretty much installing the entire system.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

Be careful about the cvs tag that you use.  RELENG_7_0_0_RELEASE is what
you will eventually want.  If that tag has not yet been set by releng@,
then you will delete your sources.  I recommend '-d 20' with cvsup to
protect yourself from accidental deletions.  RELENG_7 is probably what
you want until 7.0 is actually released.

Regards,
Jason