Need to re-generate the passwords in /etc/passwd

Tek Bahadur Limbu teklimbu at wlink.com.np
Mon Jan 21 23:30:31 PST 2008

Hi Oliver,

Olivier Nicole wrote:
>> Due to some security purposes, I need to re-generate all the passwords
>> for my users from the file /etc/passwd.
>
> I use the following script to generate passwords:
>
>    http://www.cs.ait.ac.th/cgi-bin/phi-soft/gen-multipasswd

How do I use the above script for my machine which I access remotely by SSH.

> I could send it to you as Perl script, so you could generate 500
> passwords in one run, or you call the web page enough number of times.

That will be great! So I just run the script against /etc/passwd and
presto, all the users in that file will be generated new passwords.

I will need a way to pass the newly generated passwords to individuals
users.

> The password is generated as a psuedo Markov chain on probability
> based on some pieces of English text (FreeBSD man pages). It adds at
> least 2 numbers, one non alpha-numerical sign and turns some letters
> into uppercase.
>
> At first the passwords were very English like "words", now it is more
> confusing.
>
> non-alpha-numerical characters are choosen to avoid conflicts with the
> softwares I am using it: samba, FreeBSD login, MySQL...

Sounds great!

Thanks alot

--

With best regards and good wishes,