GELI key from a USB disk

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Sun Jan 20 09:25:43 PST 2008

Hi,

I thought this should be easy but its not working ... :(

I have a USB disk /dev/da0. That's got a GELI key. I also have an external
hard-disk with partitions /dev/da1s1[a-f]. All GELI encrypted.

What I want is that while booting up these encrypted partitions are
loaded. And their key taken from the da0 USB disk.

I tried the obvious like mounting the USB disk in /etc/fstab and giving it
a lower pass no. than the encrypted partitions. But turns out that doesn't
work. FreeBSD tries to attach the GELI partitions before mounting local
filesystems! Any way to delay this step till after the USB disk is mounted
and the key available? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

 				- Rakhesh
                                 http://rakhesh.net/