lockfile -- posix compliant?

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed Jan 16 17:25:20 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 08:03:29PM -0500, N.J. Thomas wrote:
> Can someone tell me if lockfile(1) is a POSIX-defined utility? I
> couldn't tell from the man page or the source code, and I seem to be
> having trouble locating info on the web.
>
> Jens Schweikhardt's excellent page on FreeBSD POSIX Compliance:
>
>     http://people.freebsd.org/~schweikh/posix-utilities-APR-02.html
>
> doesn't list it, so I am inclined to say that it is not, but I wanted to
> be sure.

Considering that lockfile(1) is usually installed as part of procmail, and
is not part of the base system of FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris or Linux, it seems
fairly safe say that lockfile(1) is not defined by POSIX.

It might be that you meant lockf(1) though, which is part of the FreeBSD
base system.  It is not part of either NetBSD, Linux or Solaris though and
the FreeBSD manpage makes no mention of standard compliance, which means it
is most likely not defined by POSIX either.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se