Anyone out there using SSL-Explorer?

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 16:35:59 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 2:00 PM, Peter Boosten <peter at boosten.org> wrote:
> Kurt Buff wrote:
> >

> > Per a private message (thanks, Peter) I learned that 'ant run' is
> > deprecated, and I should instead use 'ant start'.
> >
> > This seems to have no effect, as the output is the same.
> >
> > The README does talk about a wizard, which, after pondering all of
> > this overnight, seems to mean some GUI component that guides you
> > through setup. There is no window manager on this machine, and I don't
> > have X installed, except for what Java/Ant libraries were installed.
> >
> > So, I'm still left with the questions above.
> >

> Kurt,
>
> We spoke briefly about 'ant install' opening port 28080... when this
> happens, you can connect your browser to that port
> (http://yourhost:28080 -> this is the wizard the readme is talking
> about). There seems to be some timegap between the installer reporting
> it's ready and the actual opening of the port (I tried last night).
>
> You don't need X (I don't have it), just some patience. When you've
> completed the install (with your browser), the ant will shutdown and you
> can start then sslexplorer with 'ant start'. Again there will be a
> timegap between the ending of the startup script and the opening of the
> port.
>

> Peter

OK - I'll buy that the wizard is the GUI used through a web browser -
that makes sense.

However, I executed 'ant start' within the directory at the console as
root, while tracking processes in a putty ssh terminal with top during
that execution. I noticed that java was running, but then the ant
process stopped on the console, and in top the java entry disappeared.
Testing after that, with netstat -a, revealed no port open other than
the usual smtp/ssh/ntp ports that I use on any machine.

Trying to connect with Firefox is unsuccessful at that point.

As you might surmise, I'm not familiar with ant or java, so am just
bashing about looking for clues.

Lastly for the moment, I noticed that I didn't have the JRE installed,
so I took the time to download that file and 'make install clean',
then execute 'ant install' and 'ant run', with the same results.

I have output from both 'ant install' and 'ant run' should anyone care
to take a look.