ssmtp configuration for server authorization [solved]

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Jan 16 16:32:55 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 12:46:02PM -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:

> This might give you a clue:
>
> smtp             25/tcp    mail         #Simple Mail Transfer
> smtp             25/udp    mail         #Simple Mail Transfer
> smtps           465/tcp    #smtp protocol over TLS/SSL (was ssmtp)
> smtps           465/udp    #smtp protocol over TLS/SSL (was ssmtp)
>
> Unless you've configured your MTA in a non-standard way, smtps is on port
> 465 not 25.

I was testing the configuration without TLS or SSL because I wanted to
eliminate encryption issues as variables while trying to nail down the
problem.  However . . .

I have discovered that the problem has nothing to do with my config
file's syntax and everything to do with the fact that the guys running
the remote SMTP server changed the authentication procedure and started
using a nonstandard port.  After getting the new information I needed,
and changing my configuration to suit, everything works like a charm.

Sorry about the unnecessary list noise.

MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when
it becomes necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production."