Pls help: regarding gdb internals

आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla wahjava.ml at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 14:22:35 PST 2008

,--[ On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 01:24:14PM -0800, Arun Paneri wrote:
| Thanks Aryeh & Chuck.
| Well, I am trying to solve issues related to GDB. Like, gdb prints wrong values of few parameteres eg "this" pointer, when we give "backtrace" or "x/10x $ebp" command in core of our company product.

The passing of 'this' pointer depends on the C++ calling convention in
use.

| I think it reads wrong value from symbol table or stack frame. So i am trying to put a break point and see what exactly gdb reads for that perticuler frame when it shows a wrong data. But dont know where exactly it reads data from the symbol table or stack frame.

AFAIK, symbol table simply stores symbols and their addresses, not data.
Data you'll find in Data Section (readonly/static allocation), Stack (runtime-static
allocation), or Heap (runtime-dynamic allocation).

HTH
--
Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल                      http://wahjava.wordpress.com/