Another question based on: Re: HOW-TO get Flash7 working!

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 13 08:37:48 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 09:53:41AM -0500, Gerard wrote:
<snip>
> I belong to a state 'Officials Association' that deals with officiating
> High School sports. Their site is written in such a way that Flash with
> either Windows Media Player or QuickTime are required to properly view
> the site.

So their message is, "We're not interested in people who don't use
windows". There is not anything that the FreeBSD community can do about
that.

> Try as I might, I have never gotten either Opera or Firefox
> using FBSD to correctly view that site. I basically just gave up on it.
> The same problem exists with many sites sponsored by Google for
> instance.
>
> If this was 1990, perhaps I could understand it. However, considering
> the present state of computing, the fact that plug-ins like Flash are
> not simple drop-in applets, similar to the way Internet Explorer
> handles them, is simply not acceptable.

Then go and complain to the people who wrote flash. If they want to release
plugins for Firefox on FreeBSD they can do so.

Since Flash is closed-source, there isn't a lot people in the FreeBSD
community can do about it.

There are several groups working on open-source implementations of
Flash, but these efforts are incomplete due to lack of documentation and
possibly volunteers.

Roland