configure printers

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sat Jan 12 23:28:05 PST 2008

Bob Falanga wrote:
> I am sorry but I don't know what you are talking about, what/where is
> DesktopBSD Package Manager? I don't know what it is or where to find
> it.  HELP
>
> Thank you,
> Bob Falanga
>
> On 1/11/08, Manolis Kiagias <sonicy at otenet.gr> wrote:
>
>> Bob Falanga wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to configure a HP laserjet 1018 USB on freebsd. So far I have
>>> had no luck. During the boot cycle I can see the Laserjet 1018 listed as a
>>> peripheral (ulpt0 HP LaserJet 1018 address 3 rev 9.00/1.00 iclass 7/1
>>>
>> using
>>
>>> bi directional niods). when I go to settings in the pop-down menu then to
>>> printers, change to administrator, freebsd doesn't show any printers
>>> connected to the computer.
>>>
>>> HELP
>>>
>>> thank you,
>>> Bob
>>>

>> I happen to have a Laserjet 1015 that works perfectly. I believe they
>> are quite similar.
>> I suggest you use CUPS to operate this. A quick guide specific to
>> FreeBSD can be found in DesktopBSD's site here:
>>
>> http://desktopbsd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=doc:printing
>>
>> Install all the ports mentioned (you may have some already installed
>> and  others will be pulled as dependencies) and then follow the rest of
>> the instructions for setting device permissions and so on. You will have
>> the printer running in no time.
>>
>> Manolis

You don't need the DesktopBSD package manager (this is specific to
DesktopBSD, though it can be installed in FreeBSD) you just need to
install the ports mentioned in the howto using the standard FreeBSD
method, i.e:

To install cups-base:

# whereis cups-base

cups-base: /usr/ports/print/cups-base

# cd /usr/ports/print/cups-base

# make install clean

and so on with the rest of the ports.

Some of the ports listed will already be installed, and trying to
reinstall them will get you an "already installed" message. You can
safely ignore it and continue with the next port.
After you complete the ports installation, you should follow closely the
instructions in the "Configuration" section of the howto.

P.S. Make sure you have an updated ports tree before you start
installing the ports.